Sunday, February 8, 2009

Local Fare

I started off the weekend with dinner and drinks at Waxy O’Connor’s. It is a pub just down the street from my house. I went with a new friend, Cal, who I will hopefully be going to Cape Town with over the April holiday. She parked at my house and we walked to Waxy’s since it was so packed and cars were parking by my house anyway. We ordered ‘Natchos’ and a wrap and shared them both. The nachos were pretty good—they make them with Doritos, but their Doritos over here have a lot less cheesy seasoning on them. The nachos had guac, pico, jalapenos, and sour cream, with tons of cheese on them. Overall they were pretty good ‘natchos’ especially since we aren’t near the Mexican border. We each had a couple beers, and I haven’t found any Bud Light yet. I am not sure what they consider ‘domestic, light and cold’ over here. Our total bill was about $14. What could be better?

On Saturday I went to the Essenwood Market. Every Saturday they have tons of vendors that sell homemade and imported goods and food. I bought some beaded key chains and a small straw purse. The prices are very reasonable. Some artists were selling some paintings that were very nice—I think that I will go back before I leave in Dec. and buy some to hang up in my classroom.

On Sunday I went back to the beach, a pay beach near the Suncoast Hotel. It costs 50 cents to get in but is apparently much safer since the cost distracts some of the clientele. I am not sure that I have developed any sort of a tan yet, this white girl is a little afraid of getting sunburned!

I also finally went to the Gateway Mall—the biggest mall over here. It had just about everything that you would ever imagine. It is in Umhlanga, which is about 30 minutes away from where I live. I found some new slops (our flip-flops) and a couple shirts to send home to family. Some of the stuff that you can buy over here is a lot cheaper than in the states, but if you want nice quality then the prices are pretty much the same. I also bought some mosi (short for mosquitoes) killers. No one told me that you plug this liquid bug killer potion into an outlet (much like a glade plug-in) and it helps the mosquitoes from attacking you while you are sleeping. I kept waking up with bad bug bites and I didn’t know how it was happening. I guess that it is kind of creepy to think that the mosquitoes are crawling into bed with me, but I guess that is what happens in a tropical climate. At least none of them have passed on malaria or wesnile…

Another thing that I don’t understand about this country is their electrical outlets. They have these 3-pronged outlets (none in the bathrooms, by the way) and then they sell products with only 2-prong plug-ins. So, you pretty much have to buy an adapter for everything that you own. It is strange. I had to buy Jo a new blow dryer (since I broke hers, long story) and then we couldn’t use it because we couldn’t plug it into the outlet.

I went to church tonight and the pastor said that about 70% of the population of South Africa lives on just one meal a day, which is usually rice and beans. They are going to have the congregation try and eat only rice, beans, and maize mush for 5 days to see what it is like firsthand. I think that I might be able to do it for a day or two, but then I know that I would cheat and eat other/more food. It is amazing for me to think about it, it kind of puts my life into perspective.