Monday, February 2, 2009

Another Fun Weekend

On Friday night I went to see the Nashua Dolphins vs. the Cape Cobras cricket game. It is my first experience with cricket, so it was very interesting and I learned a lot. It was a short game, just 20 over’s. I guess that most games last all day long. The game came down to the last ball, and the Dolphins needed 6 points to win. The batter hit the ball out of the park (just out of the field) and scored the 6 points needed to win. It was so exciting! The atmosphere was very fun and the fans were great. The tickets were about $4, beer was about $1, coke was about $1 and food was about $2. I tried boerewors (it was like a bratwurst) and samoosa, which is an Indian dish that has a flaky crust on the outside with meat on the inside. They were spicy and very good. On Saturday I went to the beach with a lady I teach with and her family. We went to Antsy Beach near the Bluff. The sand was very hot, enough to burn my feet, and coarse—not a sandy white beach that we have in the states. I hear that the beaches up north have softer sand, along with the ones near Cape Town. The water was a little rough and there were surfers and boogey boarders catching some waves. The water was fairly shallow because there was a sand bar that went pretty far out. Further out in the water were the shark nets. They put the nets out and check them every day for any sharks that may get trapped. It is supposed to be a deterrent so that the sharks don’t come near the shore, but they can still swim under the nets and come in close. I am not sure how well they really work, but there haven’t been any shark attacks on the beach so they must help. Saturday night was the birthday party at school. It consisted mostly Afrikaners, so one of the girls that I teach with had to translate the speeches. It was very fun! There was a DJ at the party that played some American music along with Afrikaans music. My favorite part was watching the couples dance and then watching the parents teach their children to dance. The steps were similar to a 2-step (for those country dancers) but to all sorts of music.

On Sunday I went for a picnic in the Botanic Gardens. There were beautiful trees and flowers, and lots of shade from the hot sun.
This is a picture of the orchid room. It was closed on Sunday, so I couldn't go inside.